The McClain County Sheriff’s Office is currently seeking highly motivated qualified candidates for the position of Detention Deputy within the Detention Division. . The McClain County Detention Center is responsible for the safe and efficient housing of both pre and post-conviction detainees. The McClain County Sheriff’s Office is an all-inclusive law enforcement agency that prides itself on a high level of service, professionalism, and respect to all.
To perform this job successfully, a candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Candidates must conform to the following for consideration for this position;
- Candidate must possess High School Diploma or equivalent
- Candidate must be at least age 18 years or older at date of hire
- Candidate must possess valid Oklahoma Driver License at date of hire
- Candidate must not have a Felony conviction
- Candidate must not be a Defendant in an adjudicated VPO case
- Candidate must not have a history of offenses involving domestic violence or moral turpitude
- Candidate must pass a comprehensive background check
- Candidates must be of sufficient psychological stability
Detention Deputies must complete the MCSO Training Program to perform their duties. The training program is designed to ensure proper monitoring and provide effective instruction throughout the new recruit’s training in accordance with State and Federal laws.
Each member of the McClain County Detention Center is required to complete annual compliance training in accordance with Oklahoma Jail Standards. In addition, Deputies are trained in many other areas pertaining to their work environment, safety and security, and job-related duties. Deputies receive training in handcuffing, chemical weapons, and defensive tactics. Deputies certified as Peace Officers must also complete annual required CLEET training.
Other essential duties and functions include, but are not limited to the following;
- Facilitating the legal admission & release of all detainees booked into the McClain County Detention Center
- Accurately identifying all detainees & maintaining discipline of all detainees
- Searching detainees and their quarters according to the guidelines for contraband, drugs, and weapons
- Providing under established procedures, social services to the inmates that include counseling, visitation, clergy, attorneys, and mail privileges
- Being responsible for the cleanliness of detainees, their clothing, and their environment
- Securing all personal cash and property according to guidelines
- Providing for a safe environment for the detainees and immediately abating any hostile actions
- Aid in carrying out the decisions and orders of the courts
- Transportation of inmates as required
- Report any safety or security problems within the facility to the shift supervisor
- Supervise orderlies who deliver detainees meals & do custodial work in the detention center
- Routinely conduct detainees checks for safety and security as well as checking for illness or injury
- Be observant for the introduction of any contraband into the facility
- Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions provided in written or oral form in dealing with problems
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with others, ability to work steadily and quickly, & ability to work with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and implementation
The McClain County Sheriff’s Office offers a competitive benefits package including;
- Competitive salary & Insurance package including health, dental, vision, & life
- 20-year retirement program and pension fund
- 40-hour work week
- Uniforms & equipment
- Vacation and sick leave accrual from date of hire
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Military leave
$2707.00 Monthly (after probationary period), plus benefits
The McClain County Sheriff's Office is responsible for patrolling approximately 580 square miles within the boundaries of McClain County Oklahoma and providing law enforcement protection to the approximate 40,400 citizens of this County. The McClain County Sheriff's Office is an all-inclusive law enforcement agency that prides itself on a high level of service, professionalism, and respect to all.
Please download the Employment Application (You will need Adobe Reader installed).
If you have questions or would like to make an appointment with a recruiter call (405) 527-2141.
If you cannot print this, you can pick one up in person from the Sheriff's Office. Once completed, please return it to the following address:
McClain County Sheriff’s Office
121 North 2nd Avenue, Suite 121
Purcell, Oklahoma 73080
If you would prefer to apply online, fill out the application and upload them.